The Chautauqua-Lake Erie Wine Trail, the Chautauqua County Visitors Bureau, and the Lake Erie Concord Grape Heritage Association, organizers of America’s Grape Country Week, August 15-23rd are pleased to announce details about the Great Grape Race, scheduled for August 15-21st, with winners to be named on Saturday August 22nd at Moore Park in Westfield.
Intended to raise awareness about the area’s agricultural heritage, this is the inaugural year for the Great Grape Race which is a scavenger hunt with questions on a Race Form intended to “teach, amuse, and instruct” racers – whether visitors or locals – about the area. Race forms can be found at 18 participating wineries where purple pennants will be flying outside and staff will be wearing purple bandanas. Seventeen non-winery businesses, ranging from restaurants to ice cream stores to inns and galleries, will also be part of the race and will be flying purple pennants.
Participating local businesses have contributed an impressive line-up of prizes valued at over $1700. Prizes, one group for adults and one group for youth, are intended to permit the winners to enjoy the Chautauqua area in many ways and range from baseball and ski tickets to a chauffeured limo and restaurant certificates in wine country.
GRAND PRIZE PACKAGE: A Taste of Chautauqua!
Chauffeured Limousine – 5 hr. Day Package in Wine Country (Chautauqua Limousine Service), Chautauqua-Lake Erie Wine Trail Discovery Passport (21 coupons), Dinner at Sapore for party of four, including a bottle of local wine, AND Overnight and breakfast at the William Seward Inn for two (Westfield, NY) (Total Package Value over $700)
FIRST PRIZE PACKAGE: More Taste of Chautauqua
SECOND PRIZES: Local Color
1. Audrey Kay Dowling Pottery, Courtesy of Portage Hill Art Gallery (Westfield, NY)
2. Taste local wines with lunch/dinner at Kelly Hotel (Ripley,NY).
THIRD PRIZES: Prizes to Take Home
1. $30 Gift certificate from Nass Daylily Farm, Hardscrabble Road, Westfield, NY
2. $30 Gift certificate from Nostalgia,Findley Lake, NY, courtesy of Blue Heron Inn
3. $30 Gift certificate from Merritt Estate Winery
GRAND PRIZE PACKAGE: Winter in Chautauqua County
Midweek overnight stay and Ski Passes at Peek n’ Peak
FIRST PRIZE PACKAGE: A Day in Chautauqua County
SECOND PRIZES: An Afternoon in Chautauqua County
1. Tickets for eight at Panama Rocks (Panama, NY) and Gift Certificate for Pizza Party at Greenstone Bakery (Mayville, NY)
2. Baseball Party – Jamestown Jammers – Baseball tickets for 10 and hat and baseball
THIRD PRIZES: Tastes of Chautauqua County
2. Webb’s Fudge-making tour and samples for family of four
3. Visit to Sugar Shack and gift basket
America’s Grape Country is located along the shores of Lake Erie between Silver Creek, NY and North East, PA and its 30,000 acres of vineyards make it the largest grape growing region east of the Rockies and the oldest Concord grape growing region in the world. For more information on participating in the 2009 Great Grape Race or other America’s Grape Country Festivities, contact the Chautauqua County Visitors Bureau at 716-357-4569 or the Chautauqua-Lake Erie Wine Trail at 877-326-6561 or click on What’s New at http://www.chautauquawinetrail.com or http://www.americasgrapecountry.com.