Strawberries have come into season and can be found at many farm stands, farmers markets, and grocers specializing in local produce. This is one of our favorite recipes featuring strawberries. This yummy mousse can be made in and served in individual ramekins too! Enjoy!
- 3 1/2 teaspoons gelatin
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup crushed or puréed strawberries, plus a handful of whole berries for garnish
- 3 egg whites, beaten to soft peaks
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped to stiff peaks.
1. In a medium bowl, soften the gelatin in 1/4 cup cold water. Add the boiling water to the mixture and stir until the gelatin is fully dissolved.
2. Add the sugar, the lemon juice and the crushed strawberries and stir gently to combine. Let cool, then chill in the refrigerator until it begins to set.
3. Whip the gelatin mixture until somewhat fluffy. Fold in the egg whites, followed by the cream.
4. Pour into a 1-quart mold, which, if desired, may be garnished by placing extra whole strawberries on the bottom. Chill in the refrigerator until firm. To serve, unmold the charlotte by dipping the base of the mold in hot water and then inverting it onto a serving plate. Decorate with a few whole berries with the stems intact. Serve plain or use sweetened, crushed strawberries as a sauce.